Friday, December 2, 2011

12/2/11 Greetings! Welcome to my page/ ready for Neon-Madness

Hi there and welcome to my spec neon racing Blog,

This weekend will be the kickstart to building up my first race car and first experiences racing.

First, a little background on me: Name's Adam Brenders, 18 years old and residing in Rochester Hills, Michigan. I have always had an avid interest in cars, and when I got my first chance at getting involved in racing I jumped at the chance. After working for a company that shall remain anonymous, name-less, and faceless for a while I found that my boss, as well as a couple of my Co-workers, were involved in the Sports Car Club of America [SCCA] and were competing with a couple Spec Miata's and, a while back, Spec Neons. Working with people that possess this much experience with racing is a great resource and I began my search for a car to race. A great perk about working at this shop is that as an employee, I can borrow tools to use and use the lifts to get under the car.

I am aware that Miata's are the new deal, but frankly I am 18 and wouldn't exactly have the cash flow to be competitive in these events... but I digress.


After a long while of searching for any Miata that didn't have the typical rocker panel rot I gave up trying to find one. Not long after I had sunk to the bottom of depression's pits my Co-worker told me that he remembered that there was a Spec Neon with a blown engine that was put in a barn a while ago and has been sitting ever since.


Now we are in business.


Now the story with this particular Neon is that it was beginning to be outfitted as a Race Car when it's engine blew, from there it was rolled into a barn.

 I have had some bad experiences with barn-cars. A while back I tried working on an old Pontiac Fiero (The four banger--not the V6 ;) ) and got through about a month of working on it until I realized it was a lost cause, RUST, bolts breaking off, slamming the door and hearing all of the rotted metal drop off of it, the whole nine yards.

Although, from what I have heard, it seems to have no rust, new clutch, good trans, electronics should be good to go, and the only problem is that of the blown engine, which I've sure is pretty easy to track down another for a Neon. Got a truck and trailer ready to go and should be picking it up either tomorrow or Sunday. Excited to get going on this project, got the rest of winter till racing season so I've got nothing but time.

With a limited racing experience up until now, I'm excited to get involved in motorsport

Stay tuned! Next post will be by Sunday!





2 comments:

  1. Hey Adam,

    Welcome to blogging! This will be an interesting topic to follow your new racing exploits. Be sure to include plenty of pictures to best document your progress & show us your success.

    Racing Ready Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan! Yes its confirmed that Sunday will be the day, airing up the trailer tires and doing some "pre-flight" checks

    ReplyDelete